10 Questions Every Cyclist Must Answer
“As a member of Amaniz Cycling Team, discipline is very important.”
1. How did you pick up cycling? What keeps you motivated?
I started cycling as a hobby before my cycling team, Amaniz Cycling Team established in year 2010. It is a mountain bike and road bike cycling group. I was looking for a long-term activity and that was how I picked up cycling. My team members motivate me, and we motivate each other. We have a total of 80 members in the team.
2. What to do or what not to do during a ride?
As a member of Amaniz Cycling Team, discipline is very important. I advise cyclists to be punctual and pay attention to briefing before an event starts. A team representative must also not spout negative speeches during a ride, especially cycling events, because that would spoil the reputation of our cycling team.
3. What’s your worst injury? How do you reduce your chances of crashing?
Broken legs and hands are my worst injuries. Cyclists should always be well trained. A mountain biker should never ride beyond their skills, but always ride in control. However, a road cyclist should always give hand signals. During every ride, my cycling team has a vehicle with a first aid kit staying by us as we ride.
4. What has been your most memorable ride so far?
It would be Epic Ride in December 2016, a 200-kilometre annual ride of our cycling team as well as Harian Metro Mountain Grand Prix 2016 because our team achieved overall champion.
5. How much of your salary goes into buying cycling products? Would you consider yourself a budget cyclist?
I spent about RM30,000 in the past three months.
6. If price does not matter, what is your next cycling upgrade or escapade?
Nowadays, technology is advancing too fast. I cannot catch up so I will just upgrade according to my needs. Our team would like to ride in Europe in the future.
7. How do you train? What are your cycling strengths?
I usually train with my team members. We understand our strengths well. We train three days on weekdays as well as Saturday and Sunday. On weekdays, we train by cycling with heavy gears and go to the gym. On Saturday and Sunday, we will cycle for 200 kilometre from Shah Alam to Cameron Highlands.
8. How do you optimise your nutrition, before, during and after your ride?
Before a ride, we would increase our protein, take more fruits, and reduce carbohydrates, oil and spices. During a ride, we would take endurance supplements and drink a lot of water. After a ride, we would take recovery drinks, carbohydrates and drink a lot of water.
9. What can you say about ladies getting into cycling?
Ladies must train well because their physical conditions are not similar to male cyclists. In fact, ladies have lower strengths. Most importantly, it is about their will power.
10. Who do you want to cycle with? What are the reasons?
I would like to cycle with Team De Rosa Santini because they are my idol. I admire them! They inspire our team! They are professional!