13th Mar 2018, Kuala Lumpur – Tarson Marketing (M) Sdn Bhd held Orbea Malaysia Dealers Meeting 2018 at Cititel Mid Valley today. The event, which welcomed about 20 Orbea Malaysian dealers and members of the media from all over Malaysia, and invited Unai Diego, the Asia-Pacific Director of Orbea to present an introduction of the brand and a closer look at Orbea products, and custom-made bicycles – Myo System.
You have probably heard of Orbea. However, if you haven’t, Orbea is a bicycle manufacturer in Mallabia, Spain. It was founded in 1840 as a rifle and gun producer, then started producing bicycles in the 1930s.
In honor of this occasion, we had an opportunity to speak closely to Unai Diego, the Asia-Pacific Director of Orbea who is currently based in Hong Kong and shared some intriguing facts about Orbea that perhaps you didn’t know about.
- Orbea is Spain’s co-operative bike company.
It is a member-owned business structure, all of whom have equal voting rights regardless of their level of involvement or investment. All members are expected to help run the cooperative. In Orbea, there are about 200 shareholders.
2. Orbea has sponsored and supplied bikes to professional cycling teams.
One of the teams included Euskaltel-Euskadi, a professional road bicycle racing team from Spain and another team was the Herring Gas Team in the USA; whereas Team Cofidis and Clif Pro Team in the present.
On 2nd January 2017, Orbea debuted Orbea Factory Team, and these people are Ibon Zugasti and Tomi Misser. These two cyclists will open your eyes from the inside at some of the year’s main events: the Tour de France, XC World Cup in Vallnord, and more.
3. Orbea won two gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and Ironman World Triathlon Championships. In honor of Samuel Sanchez’s victory in 2008 Beijing Olympics, Orbea produced Olympics edition bicycle frames in gold.
Samuel Sanchez rode an Orbea Orca Carbon to win the road race at the 2008 Beijing Olympics while Julien Absalon won the mountain gold on an Orbea Alma. Besides, Orbea Ordu delivered the three-time Ironman World Triathlon Champion (2008, 2009, 2011) to his victories in his first two wins (He switched to another brand for the 2011 race.).
In honor of Samuel’s Beijing victory, Orbea produced 88 pieces of Orca gold bicycle frames with the number eight, a lucky number in China all over the frame.
4. The name of “Orbea Orca” Road Bike is a portmanteu of ORbea CArbon.
Orbea’s highest-quality, fast, stiff, and aerodynamic racing bike has been professionally ridden by cyclists to date.
5. There are at least 13 Orbea authorized dealers in Malaysia.
If you are intrigued by Orbea’s facts as much as we are and planning to find out more about the brand and places to purchase its products, see below for the contacts that you are able to reach out to.
1. Brother Fine Enterprise LOT 1646B, Jalan Sungai Ramal Dalam, Kampung Sungai Ramal Dalam, 43000 Kajang, Selangor 014 6469476 https://www.facebook.com/Kedai-Basikal-Brother-Fine-169961176973444/ 2. Foresttrek Cycle Centre 169, Jalan 16, Kepong, 52100 Kuala Lumpur 017-8730100 https://www.facebook.com/foresttrekcyclecentre/ 3. H2C Hee Hong Cycle 18, Jalan Nirwana 1,Tmn Nirwana, Kampung Pandan Dalam,68000 Kuala Lumpur. 03-9285 4681 https://www.facebook.com/TeamH2C/ 4. Kedai Basikal MK 45, Jalan Mohd Tahir 8, OFF Jalan Sungai Jati, 41000 Klang ,Selangor 012 656 7383 https://www.facebook.com/MK.CYCLING.SHOP/ 5. DR LIM Cycle No 12, Jalan Medan Niaga, Taman Seri Firdaus, 01000 Kangar, Perlis 012-597 9688 https://www.facebook.com/DR-LIM-Cycle-130964170944441/ 6. Far East Cycle No 6,Lorong Koperasi 1,Medan Koperasi,34000,Taiping Perak Taiping, Perak 012-5157559 https://www.facebook.com/fareastcyc/ 7. SBH Bicyles Sdn. Bhd. 48, Jalan Ong Kim Wee Melaka 06-2831477 https://www.facebook.com/sbh.bicycles/ 8. Unique Probike 14-G Block B Jalan BK 5a/2c,Bandar Kinrara 5, 47180 Puchong, Selangor 012-7909138 https://www.facebook.com/uniqueprobike/ 9. Rahang Cycle 98, Jalan Tuanku Antah, Seremban, 70100 Seremban, Negeri Sembilan 06-7647576,010-5407576,016-620 9635 https://www.facebook.com/RahangCycle/ 10. Pro Cyclist 554V, Jalan Air Itam, 11400 Penang 04 827 7811 https://www.facebook.com/Pro-Cyclist-227884527595063/ 11. Perniagaan Mewah Jaya 737, Jalan Kuala Kangsar,Taman Tasek Jaya,31400 Ipoh, Perak 05-5469899, 012-5822808 https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=308683535819632 12. JBS Bike Trading NO.10, Jalan Diplomatik P 15,Presint 15, Putrajaya, 62050 KL 013-9803366, 09-5733080 https://www.facebook.com/jbsbicycle/ 13. JBS Bike Trading NO.4J Jalan Besar,25000 Kuantan, Pahang 013-9803366 https://www.facebook.com/jbsbicycle/